Monday, September 20, 2010

The Bird Feathers

We went to the Audubon on Wednesday. We were early so we went into the bird cages. There was a Great Horned Owl! I really like them. There was a feather of the owl so I took it. Me and Lilah went around collecting all types of feathers. I wanted to do writing with ink like in the olden days but I didn't have a feather. But that afternoon I got one! That feather had a long end in whitch I think will be good for writing. The color on the left side was a lighter gray like a rainy sky. But on the same side, the right side, it was a darker more black color like a black fire place with dust bunnies on it. On the other side lies a more darker color like a stormy sky. The feather feels like my dog, Daphne, because the feather is more straight haired feeling then fury.

I also got alot more feathers, but I wont explain all of them right now.

And to anyone who looked on the web site I gave, I hoped you enjoyed it! Bye for now!!!!!!!!!

8 comments:

  1. Grace- Imagine if Daphne had feathers! Do you think she could fly? How do you think the writers who used feathers ( or quills ) got theirs? At 711?
    The Indians used feathers to make all kinds of decorations that they would wear. They even wore them in their hair. Can you find out what they meant and when and why they wore them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace this was very good. Let me know if you were able to write with the Owl feather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace you did an excellent job of describing the color of the feather. I can picture what it looks like because of you vivid descriptions. I have a feeling you chose to describe this feather because you think its long end will be good for writing (was it?). But I'm curious - were most of the feathers grayish in color or were there some pretty, colorful ones? If there were colorful ones, can you describe which one you liked best?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grace,
    Very interesting Blog. From where did they get the ink they used ? Hmmm. By the way -- Jupiter is extremely close to Earth right now. Be sure to look tonight after sunset --low in the east -- and there you'll see Jupiter. You don't need binoculars but if you decide to use them, you just may see Uranus in the same place. Interesting things in the sky...Check out spaceweather.com
    Aunt Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. so cool! I found a feather on a school playground once and I want to write with that one. And when we went to Williamsburg and my mom bought a white feather pen with ink, but I think it is better to find them.
    -Allie

    ReplyDelete
  6. We saw so many different kinds of owls when we went to Land Between the Lakes this spring. I love birds!

    I found a mockingbird feather today. it was beautiful. Do you have hummingbirds? We do and I love them too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey you-
    You can make ink by boiling down hickory nut husks. Geuss what? I have a shag bark hickory tree! Wanna boil down some ink one day?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grace, this is Unicorn from Unicorn Tales! Thank you for stopping by my blog. I am now following your blog!

    ReplyDelete