Wednesday, June 22, 2011

One Month Later

Today is the one month anniversary of the terrible EF-5 Joplin Tornado. One month before today, a EF-5 tornado hit the town of Joplin, MO. The town is now devastated. People lost everything including houses and even pets. Joplin is going to have a adopt a pet day.

Our Girl Scout troop did a Loose Change for Change project.  Everybody in the troop collected loose change and stored it in a jar. At the end of the year, the Juniors, ( the oldest group which I am in ) each picked an organization to give all of the change to. There was: Food for The Poor, Stratford Cat Project, and The American Red Cross. I picked the Red Cross because of all the tornadoes that have happened and that it is the peak of hurricane season. Everybody voted and the votes came in. The Red Cross WON!!!!!!!!!!!! Now all of the money will be given to the Red Cross to help everybody in need because of a natural disaster. I feel really proud to give money to an organization. It feels good to help people.


I know I asked this last week, but if any of you have been in a tornado, would you tell me what is was like? I have been in strong thunderstorms and very close to a tornado, but never in a tornado.

I also just finished a Tornado Lap Book. Next I am doing Lightning. They are very cool. You get the book online. Its called an E-book. You can either read the book online or print it off. I print it off and then get it bound. They are also fun. You can read the book quickly and then do the project!

Stay safe from bad weather and have a good week!

3 comments:

  1. The lapbooks are a cool idea! I think I'll get the lightning one for Melissa, because she is scared of it. I love thunder and lightning! Did you have a thunderstorm today in your area? We had a big one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winnie,

    I love that you have given your blog a focus. So many of your memories revolve around the weather....I know you can retell every detail of the day Bridgeport experienced the tornado. I know that Chocolate World will be a day you never forget because the storm made the building so crowded. And who can forget our trip to Washington a few years ago..we were just a few miles from seeing an actual tornado!

    Will you take some pictures of your lapbook? You worked so hard on it, others might like to see it.

    xoxo
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace,

    I was in Springfield, MA a few weeks ago when that torando hit. At work they made us go into the cafeteria, which is in the basement and is an old bomb shelter. I definitely felt safe in there! Luckily, there was no damage to the buidling I was in. However, as I drove through the town afterwards I was shocked at the devastation. I'll also never forget the shade of green and later black that the sky turned. It was scary. I hope that's as close as I ever get to a tornado!

    ReplyDelete