Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Hurricane Season

June is the start of Hurricane Season. As you probably already know, Hurricane Earl came up the east coast. Me and my dad, ( and maybe my sister, I don't remember ) were out shopping in a food market. We went out side and he said that this a hurricane. He was joking... it was NOT a hurricane, it was just rain because we were on the back side of the system.


Over the years we have had some pretty significant hurricanes. In 2005, Hurricane Katrina. In 1969, Hurricane Camille. In 1989, Hurricane Hugo, and many more. During Hurricane Camille, people in an apartment were having a Hurricane party. I know this because I watched a show, Storm Stories on The Weather Channel.  I read a weather book and it mentioned this same Hurricane party!

I have never been in a hurricane. But I have seen devastating pictures. I have also read fiction and non-fiction books about hurricanes. One of them was Ninth Ward. ( Fiction ) It is a very well written book about a girl named Lanesha whose mother died giving birth to her. There was a women who took her because her family wouldn't. She grows up in New Orleans and then goes through Hurricane Katrina. I will not tell you what happens.

If any one of you have been in a hurricane, could you tell me what happened? I would really like that.

Be careful this hurricane season. Oh, and enjoy the heat. :)

4 comments:

  1. As soon as you hear of the first formation in the Atlantic, I will print you a map and you can begin tracking. Something tells me this will be an active season...

    ReplyDelete
  2. When your mom was living in Glastonbury, we experienced the remnants of a hurricane with winds of 80MPH. We were standing in the street bracing against the wind when a 50-60ft tree was blown over at the end of the cul-de-sac. It was awesome to see the power of nature.
    Living in New England, you WILL experience your own hurricane. Hopefully it will be a mild one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right before Allie was born, there was a Hurricane near where we live now in New Jersey. We were living in CT at the time, but my family had lived in this area for 30+ years and had never seen anything like it.

    There had been a drought that summer so the ground was so dry and hard that it acted almost like concrete, not absorbing the water. The water ended up flooding people's homes and thousands and thousands of dollars worth of damage was done. It was devastating for the area where we live.

    Here is a link to a story about that: http://www.richard-seaman.com/USA/States/NewJersey/SouthBoundbrook/FloodOf99/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, in April of 2007 there was a Nor'easter that affected the area. The rain fell so fast and hard that the ground saturated and the rivers overflowed. Bound Brook is the oldest town in NJ and has only flooded 3 times: 1972, 1999 and 2007.

    We did live here then. We were fortunate that we didn't get water in our basement, but many people did. Many peoples homes were flooded and they could not live there for several months. Our church is the first shelter to open (this way the schools can still have classes when the weather breaks). Jason and I volunteered at our church for days. The thing I will never forget is that at one point, I went out with some friends to local businesses. Costco told us to fill up as many carts as we wanted with whatever we wanted and they just let us go. Blankets, pillows, clothes, food... Other small businesses gave us food and other necessities. Now, when I do my shopping I always go to those stores that were so generous first. There is a saying here that those stores will never want for business and indeed in the last 4 years, they have done well in a bad economy.

    Here is a video about that Nor'easter.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhaoONqvVBM&feature=related

    ReplyDelete